Wednesday, May 13, 2015

What To Expect When You Are Collapsing

I don't know exactly what the future will look like. But I do know that the world will look very different by the time my son grows up. Like most parents I spend a lot of time trying to make informed choices about raising my child. But I think I have different concerns from the average American and if you have found your way to this blog you probably do too (welcome). My worries don't revolve around the latest article about kids and their social media and their electronic dance music, or whatever story has old men shaking their fists at children these days. Though I certainly have my own thoughts on teaching kids healthy media habits and I don't let my toddler anywhere near a television.

Instead, I have in mind the very volatile ecological, economic, cultural, and political landscape we live in today. Peak oil, climate change, income inequality, high unemployment, legislative gridlock, crumbling infrastructure, and a shaky-legged American empire all present problems we will have to face whether we like it or not. The fact that we have avoided these problems for so long and many people still refuse to even acknowledge their existence will make them even tougher to handle. I used to wonder whether technology could solve our problems (many of which it created itself), or if industrial civilization would slowly fall apart. The older I get the more it seems like the latter. I have noticed how the Futurama predictions of the past never happened and many of the current technological promises I read these days seem cut from the same cloth as the dreams of yesteryear that never came true. I find it unlikely, for example, that we will build literal and figurative pipe dreams like the hyperloop, when we can't even maintain our roads and bridges.

I realize the lifestyle of the average middle class American can only exist because of an abundance of cheap energy made possible by fossil fuels. As these resources become more scarce this lifestyle and much of the world I have grown up with will start to slowly disappear. Anyone paying close attention can see that this has already started to happen. Identifying a problem is one matter, responding to it effectively is another. So in the face of all these problems I found myself asking the old question:  what is to be done? 

As I started to grapple with this question I found a great blog that has helped guide me through making important changes in my life. Many people familiar with peak oil and other problems of our age might already read The Archdruid Report written by John Michael Greer. His work has offered not only a connection to others who can see the cracks in industrial civilization, but also useful ways of coping that I have adapted for my own circumstances. I have applied many of his lessons to my own life and I feel that my experience can help others even further. I still have more changes I want to make, but I feel far enough along that I can offer something to people making a similar transition.

So what kind of changes did I make and why do I think other people would benefit from reading about them? Did I start a farm? No, though we did move from an apartment in Brooklyn to a house in Poughkeepsie with enough room for a decent sized garden. I made a much less dramatic change. I decided to be a stay-at-home dad and start focusing on things I can make and do at home. That might not seem like a big deal, but I guess that is the point. It is something within most people's reach. The home economy can produce a lot of things we have become accustomed to buying. Making or doing things yourself lets you have them for a fraction of the price it would cost you to buy them and the results often beat the pants off what you could purchase. 

Unlike picking up and moving to a farm (not a feasible option for many people for a variety of reasons) you can start doing and making things at home today. Sure it might take a while to realize the full potential of what you can produce at home, but that's fine. You can ease your way into the process one step at a time and soon you will look back to find you have accumulated a number of useful skills and resources. It takes some time to learn some of these skills, but not as much as you might think and once you learn how to bake your own bread, for example, you won't want to pay more more for a store bought loaf that doesn't taste as good. Frankly, our society often sells us the erroneous notion that we can make big changes in an instant. We can make the decision to change rather quickly (though even that process can happen gradually), but putting an idea into action takes some time. Look at this positively, you don't need to change all at once. You can ease your way into it, though the sooner you start the better. Or as John Michael Greer says, "collapse now and avoid the rush."

So what kind of help will you find in this blog? I will certainly share some of my favorite recipes and instructions for useful DIY projects. But those things will serve as an aside to a weekly blog that outlines broader strategies for getting the most out of the home economy and parenting in an age of diminishing fossil fuels. I plan to give concrete advice, but I also hope to inspire you to find solutions that work best for your situation. Posts will often deal with John Michael Greer's useful acronym L.E.S.S. (Less Energy Stimulation and Stuff). When relevant I will suggest books on that week's topic. You certainly don't need to be a parent or a stay-at-home partner of any kind to get something from this blog, but I will often advocate for having one partner stay at home as I find this an option that more people should consider no matter what their gender. I think it makes a lot of economic sense for most people and the next post will deal with this in more depth.

I have not collapsed as far as I would like. Some of my skills are more advanced than others and I still have a lot more projects I want to pursue. I hope this will make the blog more accessible to someone trying to break free of the mainstream. Likewise, my son is only 19 months old, so I can't say I have seen it all as a parent. But, for whatever the proud declarations of a father are worth, I feel like I have done a good job thus far and often get compliments on his intelligence which I attribute to keeping him away from screens, getting him in nature, letting him explore, and trying to foster communication by talking, reading, singing, and listening to him as much as possible.

I hope to bring a unique and useful perspective on these topics. I used to work as a public librarian in one of the rougher neighborhoods in Brooklyn. So I feel I can offer a combination of grit, commonsense, and a knack for evaluating available information and communicating it to people of diverse backgrounds. I also bring an earnest desire to make important changes and a desire to share what I have learned. It should make for an interesting journey and an interesting blog. Thank you for reading.

Suggested Reading:

Green Wizardry by John Michael Greer

This book gives a lot of great information on gardening, cooking, preserving food, passive solar technology, and thinking in whole systems (very useful for waking up from the slumber our culture lulled many folks into). Each chapter includes useful exercises and suggested reading on that chapter's topic. It also introduces the reader to the concept of L.E.S.S. which I plan to discuss in an upcoming post.




17 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading about your journey. Thanks for starting the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! Looking forward to reading (came over here from The Archdruid Report).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for starting the blog. I am also a regular reader of the Archdruid Report. While not yet a stay at home dad I am transitioning to become one over the next year or two. Looking forward to reading and contributing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I think my last comment didn't go through. I followed you here from The Archdruid Report. I'm a stay at home mother to a little son who will be 18 months tomorrow, so I'm in a very similar position.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interested to hear your perspective on having one partner stay home. I'm also a reader of JMG's blog and have a seven year old stepdaughter. While her mother and I build our lives using the LESS principle as a guide, her biological dad and his fiancé are still caught up in the civil religion of progress. Makes for interesting times, especially for our daughter. In any case, I'm looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for getting started on what sounds like an intriguing blog. I'm not a stay-at-home dad, but as a work-at-home dad I imagine there'll be ideas and material that I'll find relevant. And who knows? Maybe opportunities to contribute. So good luck, and good initiative in getting this thing up and going! (Also an Archdruid Report wart.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Greg, for having the gumption to get this blog going! I've often wanted a place to discuss parenting in the age of decline, but haven't been able to commit to starting a blog myself. I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts here, and also developing a commentary community with like-minded readers. I too am an ADR reader, and if the quality of the commentary there is any indication of what a subset of family- focused readers might start here, things could get fascinating.

    I am a SAHM too, and I just can't see how families can adapt to the future ahead of us without at least one adult who makes keeping the family running their primary work. Maybe this adult doesn't have to be a parent, if multi-generational families make a comeback, or as more families share housing, maybe it's two part-time homemakers- I suspect there will be a lot of variations as families adapt to keep body and soul together and stay emotionally healthy too. I do work part time from home as well, but my career is definitely a lower priority, both by preference and by necessity. I would posit that this is just one of the many hard limits that we should all wrap our heads around ASAP- living with LESS entails hard work, and somebody has to do it, meaning two full-time jobs are probably out. (Although more and more families are finding that two full time jobs aren't available anyways.)
    Good luck in developing this great start!
    --Heather in CA

    (PS- I personally find the blue background a little hard on the eyes. Just one opinion...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MP, thank you.

    JB, thank you for reading. I had hoped people would find their way here via the ADR.

    Lucas, I hope you find the blog useful and that contributions from readers like yourself can help it grow.

    Breanna, welcome. Yes a very similar position. Our sons are about a month apart.

    Tim, that is an interesting situation. I'm curious how you navigate certain aspects of it. In any case, exposing her to both ways of living and noting her response probably teaches you a lot.

    Stefan, you are very welcome. I'm sure you will find the blog relevant to your situation. I look forward to anything you can contribute.

    Heather, thanks. I also hope the comments section here will provide a place for people to connect with others in the process of collapsing.

    I agree that domestic work often gets undervalued and that we could see more extended family living arrangements. We already see this, with boomers sandwiched between elderly parents and millennial children living in their basements.

    ReplyDelete
  9. warning: comment box sometimes eats comments! (not just yours, wordpress has done it to me on two other occasions). i will try to recapture the spirit of my comment, but that was yesterday, so no promises, haha...

    i really like making things myself, i like gaining new proficiencies and a certain independence from feeling like a thoughtless consumer. but i am frequently disappointed that making things myself isn't actually less expensive, and in many cases is a fair bit more expensive (some of that is inherent in the lack of an economy of scale in family-sized projects). that said, i don't think that makes it less valuable, as long as saving money isn't your only aim. because a t-shirt is artificially cheap due to a lot of things that aren't so great, like the inexpensive shipping from the other side of the globe, and manufacturing processes in developing countries often don't have to meet high standards of health/labor practices or environmental regulations. of course, the fabric i'm buying to sew my own stuff is most likely still subject to some subset of those issues. but i know i certainly have a different relationship with something that's a labor of love than i do with something i bought, and that's a big part of it for me. and knowing each and every element or ingredient, and the process, that goes into the proper making of something, changes the way you see everything around you. did you hear about that guy who took this idea so far that he decided to make a toaster literally from scratch, inspired by a quote from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? so cool. probably the thing that always drives me to do things myself in the first place is desire for full control over the end product and wanting something of higher quality that will stand the test of time. and when i succeed, this is such an incredibly satisfying result. but it's all these things that have me addicted to being a maker. plus just being inherently nerdy and curious about material properties... hehe...

    i've subscribed & am looking forward to reading future posts. i'm a bit behind you on the journey, as i'm going to be trying to get pregnant some time in the next few months, but it's definitely cool to find other nerdy, homesteady/DIY, stay-at-home, sustainability-minded parents online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for starting this: it is good to be reminded now and again that I'm not alone.

    I'm on a similar journey although the 'stay at home' part isn't possible for me as yet. I just finished a three year carpentry apprenticeship because I wanted to be more capable and able to make stuff, but of course the main thrust of the course was getting us to learn how to use machines worth thousands of Euros and which took up half a room. I took a fair bit of flak for making my final project mostly by hand.

    Now I'm looking at the next step which I think will probably be a bit more scary than I'd like. I'll be coming back regularly to get ideas and maybe share a few...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jamie, it does sometimes cost more to make things yourself for a variety of reasons. Part of it comes from the initial investment needed to get some projects started (tools, etc.) and part of it comes, as you have pointed out, from the externalities built into the current system. We don't pay the full price of many of the goods and services we buy. As the system breaks down they will make more immediate economic sense. In the mean time it looks like you have found other reason to do things yourself. Great. Thanks for commenting.

    Andy, glad to get some input from someone with your skill set. I can swing a hammer etc., but I don't have a ton of experience when it comes to building things by hand. Once we buy a home I would like a workspace where I can do small projects. Great that you did the project by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greg, in a lot of cases it's like my stepdaughter lives in two worlds. When she's with her mom and me, we teach her about sharing the earth with others, especially non-humans. We rent a small acreage so that helps with the contrast of city life. Her dad is environmentally minded in the sense that renewable energy will allow us to live exactly like we always have. I want to sit down with him and chat over a couple pints to see how he responds to the idea that we need to leave all the remaining fossilized carbon in The ground for the sake of the environment and future generations (namely, his).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another ADR reader here. I'm a homesteading, homeschooling SAHM of a 14 and a 17 year old. We live on a farm with my parents living in one side of our house.

    I'm pretty pleased with how my kids are turning out. (blushes modestly) Parenting IS such a crap-shoot in a lot of ways but the few things I know I did right in their early years - delayed and still limited screen exposure, good food, lot of free-ranging outside time, exposure to good books and music. As my daughter gets ready for college I'm turning my parenting efforts to "how to navigate adulthood in a collapsing society." Like so much of modern parenting, I'm trying to teach something I hardly understand myself. Looking forward to stopping by every week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tim, I know a lot of people with that mindset. It sounds like he would be more open to hearing what you have to say than some, but I would probably ease into it via something he can relate to. As much as I think things are slowly headed south, I try not to emphasize that when talking to some people. Instead I try to emphasis what I get from LESS now, or in his case I might talk more about being the change I wish to see in the world.

    Rebecca, thanks for commenting. I certainly agree that parenting is a crap-shoot and I also agree about the things you did right in the early years. They sound like what I have in mind for my kids and it sounds like yours turned out well. I'm contemplating homeschooling if I can find a good network of likeminded homeschoolers or ways for my son to connect with other kids. Learning more about the Waldorf homeschool method is on my to-do list. Writing this blog also feels like trying to teach something I hardly understand. I hope readers like yourself can fill in the gaps for me.

    I plan to have the next post up by the end of the day on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Waldorf homeschooling is my plan for my son and any future children. I highly recommend the blog The Parenting Passageway for a waldorf-type approach to early-years children and the site Waldorf Essentials for curriculum, explanations, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Continuing the conversation late- just wanted to comment on socialization and homeschooling- we could think of this as one more aspect of life that we have come to think of as normal to outsource ( to the school system), but which may be better managed by the family. My two homeschooled kids go to 4H, church group, once-a-week homeschool group classes, play dates... Plenty of social connection outside the home, but in situations and with people we have vetted. Not in age-isolated groups with widely varying quality... Just a thought.
    --Heather in CA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Breanna, thanks for the links.

    Heather, vetting who my child interacts with certainly appeals to me and I certainly have my own critiques of public and private education in this country (you hit on a few). As much as I dread my son becoming friends with certain kinds of people, something about learning to deal with people you would rather avoid seems useful to me. I guess that deserves a post at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Courteous, concise comments relevant to the topic of the current week's post are welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here. Long screeds proclaiming the infallibility of some ideology or other, however, will be deleted; so will repeated attempts to hammer on a point already addressed; so will comments containing profanity, abusive language, general trolling and the like. I realize that most of the internet does not operate under such guidelines, but I believe these rules will help keep whatever discourse happens in the comments civil. I will try to respond to each comment as time permits. Thank you for reading Stay At Homestead Dad.