Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Allergy Tea Recipe

I like going to herbal remedies first whenever I have any kind of health problem. In my experience they work well, don't cost much, and for the most part carry none of the scary side effects we associate with modern pharmaceutical medicines. So this week I would like to give you my recipe for an effective and great tasting allergy tea that I have used for years to treat my seasonal allergies. I tried over the counter and prescription medications when I was younger, but I really did not like them. One stopped working, another dried me out to the point of extreme discomfort, and another made me incredibly drowsy contrary to the claims made on the package.

For a long time I simply suffered with allergies. Then I came upon a great apothecary in Brooklyn. There I found a tea that worked wonders for my allergies without any side effects. I now drink it everyday to deal with my allergies to pollen, pet dander, and dust (a real problem when you have the windows closed during the cold winter months). I no longer live near the apothecary, but after looking at the ingredient list I have come up with my own version of the tea that works just as well. And since I buy herbs in bulk it costs me even less than I would pay for the tea at the apothecary. There are lots of places to find bulk herbs, but I like to order from Jean's Greens. They have a large selection of organic herbs at great prices and they are just up the river from me.

Allergy Tea

1 Part Nettle Leaf
1 Part Golden Rod
1 Part Ginger Root
1 Part Peppermint
1 Part Sage

Steep 1 Tablespoon of the tea for twenty minutes. Then enjoy. It tastes very good especially with some honey. Depending on the severity of your allergies drink 1-3 cups a day.

Note to nursing mothers: Sage can lower milk production. So nursing mothers should omit this from the recipe.



2 comments:

  1. My husband and son are having an uncharacteristically hard time with their allergies this year. I think it must be our atypical cool and damp conditions. My husband pops over the counter stuff which I've read is really bad for your gut biome; maybe he'll give this a try if I brew up a pot. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, let me know how it works. My wife is a veterinarian and had used over the counter stuff to deal with allergies at work. She was a bit skeptical about the herbs, but she found they worked better.

    ReplyDelete

Courteous, concise comments relevant to the topic of the current week's post are welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here. Long screeds proclaiming the infallibility of some ideology or other, however, will be deleted; so will repeated attempts to hammer on a point already addressed; so will comments containing profanity, abusive language, general trolling and the like. I realize that most of the internet does not operate under such guidelines, but I believe these rules will help keep whatever discourse happens in the comments civil. I will try to respond to each comment as time permits. Thank you for reading Stay At Homestead Dad.